An Apple A Day May Keep The Doctor and The Dentist Away!
You may have noticed the apple featured on the Mortenson Family Dental logo. Apples have long been associated with a healthy smile. It takes strong, healthy teeth to bite into a crunchy apple! There’s also a more personal reason for the apple on the logo. Years ago, Sue Mortenson took her car to the car wash. When she got back in her car, she found an apple left for her on the front seat. Sue was very impressed by that special touch. That’s why you’ll be offered an apple and apple cider when you visit your Mortenson Family Dental office.
You’ve heard the expression “an apple a day keeps the doctor away”. It may also be true that an apple a day keeps the dentist away. Children have a natural sweet tooth that draws them to sugary snacks and chewy candy that can stick to the teeth. Tooth decay results when cavity-causing organisms feed on this sugar and turn it into enamel-eroding acid. Apples are naturally sweet and offer a healthy alternative to processed, sugary snacks packed with nutrient-deficient calories.
Apples have other advantages over sugary snacks and even over many other fruits.
- Apples are portable and can be packed in a lunch box with no refrigeration needed.
- Apples can satisfy a sugar craving at ¼ the calories of candy or chocolate.
- Apples are packed with Vitamin C which is great for the immune system.
- Apples have flavonoids with antioxidant properties that guard against heart disease.
- Apples have been shown to lower bad cholesterol and may have cancer-fighting benefits.
- Apples come in many varieties of taste and color. If you don’t like a Granny Smith apple, have a Gala, a Honeycrisp, a Golden Delicious, or many others!
You might be surprised that in addition to apples and apple cider, you’ll find chocolate chip cookies waiting for you at your next visit to a Mortenson Family Dental office. The cookies are to help you feel at home and comfortable too and Sue Mortenson knows that one cookie won’t hurt you and our dental hygienist will clean your teeth during your appointment so you’ll leave with a healthier smile!