Are you wondering what’s the best time for braces? It might be earlier than you think! For adults and kids alike, there are plenty of reasons people might want braces – and it’s not just cosmetic. Having straighter teeth can have some health benefits too.
For Kids: No Later than Age 7
The American Association of Orthodontists recommends a checkup with an orthodontic specialist no later than age 7.
- Orthodontists can spot subtle problems with jaw growth and emerging teeth while some baby teeth are still present.
- While your child’s teeth may appear to be straight, there could be a problem that only an orthodontist can detect.
- Early treatment may prevent more serious problems from developing and may make treatment at a later age shorter and less complicated.
- In some cases, the orthodontist will be able to achieve results that may not be possible once the face and jaws have finished growing.
Additionally, early treatment may give your orthodontist the chance to guide jaw growth, lower the risk of trauma to protruded front teeth, correct harmful oral habits, improve appearance, guide permanent teeth into a more favorable position and improve the way lips meet.
For Adults: Anytime!
Teeth can shift at any age – maybe due to an injury, a health condition or just natural growth. Some people who had braces as a child might even need them a second time when they get older, especially if they neglected to wear their retainer after their braces were removed. If you have any of the following issues, you might want to consider braces:
- If you have a crossbite or misaligned teeth
- If you are experience headaches, ear pain or stomach issues related to your oral health
- If you’re not confident about your smile
Orthodontics have come a long way in just the last decade. If you’re concerned about the appearance of braces, be sure to take a look at Invisalign® clear aligners. These “invisible” braces can discreetly straighten your teeth and be removed for eating and cleaning at anytime. If you’re unhappy or concerned about your teeth, we’d love to schedule a free consultation with you to discuss your options.